Adding fresh fabric or a brand new cushion to an old dining chair can be excellent way to breathe life into it. However, the task can seem overwhelming and extensive if the correct method is not followed. One must also be careful about choosing the right upholstery fabric and materials for completing the work. Given below is the step-by-step procedure for refurbishing a dated dining chair:
- First the seat base must be unscrewed from the frame, after which the staples and fabric will have to be removed using pliers and an awl. For newbie DIY enthusiasts, it is important to exercise great care while pulling the staples off.
- In order to replace the worn out seat, a new one will have to be created from a plywood measuring ½ inch. The outline of the base can either be traced on the plywood piece or marked with proper dimensions. It is better to use a jigsaw for cutting around the markings.
- The next requirement is a seat cushion which will have to extracted from a piece of 1 inch-dense foam. Once the cushion is ready, it must be attached to the wood using a spray adhesive that dries quickly. The edges should be rounded by spraying them with glue and then sticking them to base of the seat.
- Now the foam must be covered with a layer of polyester batting that is ½ inch dense. First the batting can be stapled to the centre of all sides of the base and pulled around for covering the foam entirely.
- The calculated dimensions of the seat base must be increased by ¼ inch and then used as measurements for cutting the fabric. In case a pattern is being used, it has to be centred on the chair first.
- The fabric should be made as tight as possible and then attached to the base using staple gun in the same way as the batting.
- In case the dining chair needs protection from dust, a cover must be prepared from black cambric fabric, which can be stapled to the underside. Finally, the seat can be screwed back to the frame.
Although the above mentioned steps are not very difficult to execute, they do necessitate a certain amount of skill. In case an individual finds them hard to take care of, he or she must get in touch with a reputed firm performing furniture repair & reupholstery in Sydney and allow professionals to complete the job.